Ministers

 
1843
The Church began as the South Free Church of Scotland when the Reverend Daniel Cormick, minister of the South Parish Church ‘came out’ with most of his office-bearers and a large majority of his congregation. Rev D Cormick died after a brief ministry of nine years on 24th May, 1848.
1849
The South Free congregation in their search for a successor heard of a young minister who was acting as locum tenens of Newtyle Free Church and who had been licensed by the Free Church Presbytery of Dundee in July 1848. He was the Rev William Livingstone who had previously held an Assistantship in the Uphall Free Church in West Lothian was inducted as the congregation’s second minister in January 1849. For nearly 46 years, Rev Livingstone carried out the very varied work of the South Free Church pastorate with a great acceptance but in 1884 his health failed and arrangements were made for a colleague and successor to be appointed.
1884
The Rev William Kirkpatrick was chosen and ordained and inducted in December 1884.
1900
At the Union of the United Presbyterian and the Free Church in 1900, the congregation became the South United Free Church. It was during the ministry of Rev Kirkpatrick that the new church was built. Rev Kirkpatrick was called to Leadhills in 1925.
1927
Rev Peter Lockhart, M.A. succeeded Rev Kilpatrick; translated to Port Glasgow Princes Street, 6th February 1930.
1929
The church became part of the great Re-United Church of Scotland and took the name Livingstone Church in memory of Rev William Livingstone.
1930
Rev William Baildon Taylor, formerly F.M. at Calabar; inducted 19th June, 1930; translated to Strathmiglo, 15th June, 1936.
1937
Rev Francis Gordon McLaren; born 2 March, 1902 at Dunfermline; employed in banking until 1930; educated at University of Edinburgh and New College, M.A. (1933); licensed by Presbytery of Dalkeith 9th April 1936; assistant Musselburgh Northesk 1936-7; ordained and inducted to the church 1st July 1937. Rev McLaren translated to Strichen, 27 April, 1960. Retired 30th September, 1975.
1961
Union with South Parish Church to form St. Andrew’s Parish Church. The South Church and the Livingstone manse are sold. Rev Thomas Douglas Allsop, B.D. minister of Kirriemuir South, inducted to charge, 11 May, 1961. Rev Allsop translated to Knightwood St. Margaret’s, 2 September, 1965.
1966
Rev William Jones; born 26th December 1921; educated at Universities of Edinburgh and Glasgow; Chaplain Quarrier’s Homes, having demitted from Kirkcaldy Loughborough Road 1st February, 1960, inducted 24th February 1966. Rev Jones retired in 1987.
1988
Rev Peter Youngson licensed in April 1961; appointed by the Home Board to be the first minister of Lochwood in Easterhouse, Glasgow and ordained and inducted by the Presbytery of Glasgow in May 1961; demitted in 1969; inducted to St Columba’s, Glenrothes in October 1970. Called to Jura Church and inducted June 1975; demitted 1987 and inducted St Andrew’s, Kirriemuir January 1988. Demitted in November 1996 in the interests of linkage with Oathlaw/Tannadice Church.
1997
St. Andrew’s is linked with Oathlaw/Tannadice Church. The two manses are sold and a new manse is built at 26 Quarry Park, Brechin Road, Kirriemuir.
1997
Rev William B. McCulloch, B.D., ordained and inducted 24th July, 1997; translated to Church of Scotland charge in Rome 15th October, 2001.
2002
Rev. David Taverner, B.D, inducted on 7th August at St Andrew’s. Translated, 21st March 2011, to Coldstream & Eccles Parish Church.